Monday 22 October 2007

Panto Stars of the Future.

I think it just about 5 weeks before we start rehearsals for Dick Whittington at the Grand Theatre in Swansea

In fact I've just spent the afternoon going through the script which I think is very funny and I'm looking forward to the show.

I was at the Grand last night to host a big Charity Show organised by the Habibi dancers to raise money for the Dragon Burns Club.

The show had a little Pantomime flavour with two spots from Cwm Musical Youth who presented a selection of songs and scenes from their production on Cinderella which they will present in December.

I have just asked to become the group's President and last night was my first opportunity to see them perform, they were excellent!

Its a real honour to be asked to take on this honourary role and I am delighted to be able to support a group that has been set up to give young people a chance to perform on stage.

Sadly the principle venue used by Cwn Musical Youth was the Gwyn Hall in Neath which was destroyed by fire last Thursday night, just weeks away from its reopening following a £4m refurbishment.

In fact lots of groups have been affected by this but I'm sure that they will all find different venues to put on a show.

I never underestimate the part that Amateur and youth groups make to the development of our business.

One of the groups that I performed with as a youngster in the early 1980's , known locally as Gendros Amateurs also gave a chance to Catherine Zeta Jones to perform and Anthony Lynn who is currently directing Mary Poppins on Broadway.

I believe that any live theatre production must be encouraged and supported!

Back to Panto 2007 however and there's a real anticipation of Panto here in Swansea at the moment! In fact its the number 1 topic of conversation with people that say hi in shops, anywhere where I'm out and about.

Most people are surprised at the short time we have to put the show together but I still am grateful for rehearsal times of 10 - 12 days.

I remember with great affection my first panto at the Grand Pavillion Porthcawl as we met on a Sunday, had our dress on a Friday, then had a day off for Christmas day and opened after a speed line read on Boxing Day! Great fun!

Anyway, 57 days to go!

Make that call to the Grand and book your tickets on 01792 475 715.

I hope that any travelling Panto fans will come and say hi as I would love to give everyone a Swansea Jack welcome.

No comments: